Thursday, May 3, 2007

My foot itches

I know that I said just a few posts ago that I enjoy my alone time and all that jazz and that remains true. There just comes a point when alone time really sucks. I thought Paul would be returning home tonight from N.Y. and then we would leave for CO in a week but I guess plans changed and he'll be flying straight to CO. So that means a week of Kitty, Zoe and me getting to know each other REALLY well. Which is fine...kitty and I don't talk nearly as much as we used to and we need to catch up :)

I guess maybe I'm a little more sad at the thought of spending this stretch alone than previous stretches because before I had a friend in town I could call if I wanted to. That friend has recently discovered what I kinda knew about Vegas all along and has moved back home. My mom asked me why I haven't made more friends since I have been here. I guess the reason is that I have always viewed Vegas as a temporary situation. That being the case I never really made any effort to go out of my way to form bonds with people I know that I would be leaving shortly. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do or not. Probably not.

I have always been the kind of person that has just a few close friends that are practically family to me. I don't have "acquaintances" because I don't see the point. If I meet someone at work or school that I feel is very easy to hang out with I may invest more energy into them...after all friendships don't happen overnight. A good example of how my way of thinking is is not always correct (hard to believe, I know) is how I met my friend Candice.

Candice went to the Christian school but took a Spanish class at the high school. That's where I first met her. I thought she was very stuck up and snobby, she thought I partied too much. Anyways, I started dating her next door neighbor of 17 years after I graduated and heard through him that she didn't have very nice things to say about me.

A few months went by and my boyfriend at the time mentioned to me that I should go horseback riding with Candice sometime (she had horses). Even though I knew I was not her favorite person on the planet and she definitely wasn't mine, I could not turn down the opportunity to go horseback riding. So she picked me up one afternoon and we drove to where she kept her horses. What took mere minutes felt like hours I think because of how hard each of us were trying to disguise the awkwardness of the situation. Long story short, we arrived, hopped on the horses and then she tried to kill me but she did not succeed and now we are best friends! :) We have been friends now for almost 7 years and man we have some crazy memories! I was the maid of honor at her wedding and her family is my family. I could tell stories but I think the only ones laughing would be Candice and me! So...do I have a point? ah, yes. I guess if I hadn't have plunged into that awkward situation and put forth the energy to make a new friend, I'd be out a lifetime of amazing memories!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, that was really awesome. You truly are learning the value of friendship and the complexity of all of it. Number one, friends are so very imortant, only real ones though and they are far and few between.

Anonymous said...

i have known you since you were 11-

we certainly did not get along after you stole Rachel....bitch

but for some odd reason you had a sleepover and it was only you, rebecca diggs, and I- right? we played charades??? some weird game where i think we dressed up like madonna, then we all slept on the pull out couch- this was in your parents old double/wide in meadowvalley- how do i remember this day when i am such a stoner, i do not know. the memeories of quincy are crystal clear...up until the partying of course


love, yo bez fren

jessica

KermyFrag said...

haha, thats hilarious! I completely forgot about that. Then Rachel got all mad b/c you and I became friends and stopped fighting over her! Good times. :)

Kwicky said...

I might be coming home today for a last minute tournament, so warm the bed up for me! :)