Tuesday, February 24, 2009


I'm sure most of the people who read this blog have been following Paul in the LAPC. I have told him and a few others about my new strategy for dealing with the crazy ups and downs of railing him in a tournament. What has happened many times in the past is that I get really interested in the tournament from the get go; looking for online updates, bugging anyone there in person with text msgs, and thinking about it constantly. I know it's silly to get so invested so early on, I guess that is one of the reasons I am considered a "n00b", but it happens. Anyways, it is not beneficial for me because when I get that crushing text that reads "he's out", it is devastating.

So I have a new Paul Wasicka Is Playing A Tournament strategy/analogy. I will now look at the tournaments he plays in as a puppy that a roommate/parent/whoever has brought home. Sure the puppy is cute and I really want to hold him and cuddle with him but I won't allow it! What if, for some reason, the puppy has to go back? Maybe the person who brought him home discovers that they have allergies to puppies or that they are the devil and don't even really like puppies?! Then what? If I had allowed myself to grow attached to the puppy I would be very sad to see it go. Yet, had I waited a day or two, anticipating that my roommate was the devil and that they would inevitably realize they hate puppies, I would be much better off and not so crushed when the puppy had to go.

Analogy: I get overly attached to a poker tournament that Paul is playing in and then it is taken away from me and I am very sad...like with the puppy.

New Strategy: I will pretend that the puppy does not exist for at least three days. If after that amount of time the puppy is still around, I will acknowledge its presence and maybe teach it how to fetch.

No comments: