Saturday, March 28, 2009

My new years resolution this year was to be healthier. I planned to eat more "whole" foods and not much processed food, workout on a regular basis and cut down on partying/drinking. So far....so good. The year started out as any other year but this last month has been very different.

When I started out in Jan. I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill at a slight incline for 15 minutes and was exhausted. I then began to hike on days when the sun was shining, I got a little confidence and returned to the gym. I began my fitness crusade in the middle of Jan. and it is now almost April. I have progressively gotten more intense and more dedicated. I now do a minimum of 90 min of cardio and 30 min of weights every other day. I start out with the step mill for 30 min. Then I do the Elliptical machine at an "8" resistance for 30 min, then I run for 30 min. That was just today. The other day I ran for 55 min and added in some other stuff.

The point is..... Never in my life have I been in "good shape". Unfortunately I am, in fact, approaching the age of 30! Super scary. I want to know what it is like to be in good shape. I want to know what it is like to look good in a bathing suit. I want to know what it is like to shop for clothes without worrying about looking fat. But, above everything, I want to be proud of myself and know that physically I can do whatever I put my mind to.

Originally I began working out to lose weight. Right now I am the heaviest I have ever been and it does weigh on my self esteem. After working out regularly for the past month and a half I have not lost a single pound. When I realized this I was devastated ( and still am.. a little) But even though I have not lost weight (I know..I've gained muscle!) and my pants do not fit any better, I do feel stronger and healthier.

During softball last summer a full run around the bases would leave me winded for a good ten minutes. Now, I am out of breath for a few minutes at most. So I do see differences. Maybe not the ones I had originally hoped for, but I see that certainly my work has paid off in other ways.

3 comments:

81Trucolors said...

Keep up the good work!

GnightMoon said...

Well played, Frag. If you do 90 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week, you will lose weight (as long as you watch out for those Young's Double Chocolate Stouts).

Anonymous said...

Ok, I wasn't going to reply, but somebody has to tell you this. You probably don't want to hear this, but you should postpone your PA program until you finish your undergraduate degree. I know what you're trying to get from a PA certification, but like Paramedic, nursing, and medical schools, you need to pick the right program. I checked your programs curriculum and reputation. If your dream has changed to treating otitis media, sprained ankles and the flu, then complete this program. You will be stuck at $60,000 a year and won't be getting what you want. If you want to specialize to more advanced cases, you need to finish your degree and apply to top notch programs. You and I both know you lack the experience and knowledge base to accelerate to the level that you desire right now. GET YOUR 4 YEAR DEGREE and write your own ticket. I really hope you take the advice of the only person you know that knows how to get that dream of yours accomplished. Don't get mad and disregard my message. I seem to know a little bit about getting to where you want to be.