Sunday, March 1, 2009

Well, I had my interview on Friday. I can't say how it went but I can give you a general idea of how I felt about it. First of all, walking into the interview it was hard for me not to feel like "what the heck am I doing here!". I know that I have good grades and all but I imagine that all of these people do as well (the nine people in my interview session). Over half of them have applied to this program before, this would be their second time interviewing. ALL of them have an undergraduate degree (except one). The first 3/4 of the interview goes very well. The entire process took 4 1/2 hours! The second one on one interview was a bit challenging. She really nailed me on the fact that I don't currently have a bachelors degree and asked me, basically, why don't you have a degree and do you realize that you will need one to be successful in this field. It kind of felt like a kick in the stomach. I mean, why did they even invite me to interview if that is a stipulation for entrance into the program? She also asked me about grades I got in college over ten years ago. Like I said, I really have no way of knowing how I did. It seemed like every person I was interviewing with was very qualified. I can really see them coming back to say, "you are a very qualified candidate but we really need you to have a degree. Go get that and then come back and reapply."

Can I blame them? Absolutely not. I was taking a real chance with this program. If this program had not existed I would have gotten my degree then taken the prereqs for whatever program I wanted to get into. I kind of did the it the opposite way, hoping I would get in on my first try.

I guess we'll see :)

2 comments:

TheGraveWolf said...

GOOD LUCK!!

PunkyPickett said...

You're just not thinking of the fact that they're getting nailed with different, but equally hard questions, like: "How do you expect to get into this program with no real-life experience in medicine?" You weren't the only one getting reamed that day, don't worry.

When do you find out the results?