Thursday, March 22, 2007

YippEE SkiPPee!!

I just finished my 3rd and final test for the week and I am so happy about that! I am also happy that my friend kristen is coming to visit! Lots of things to be happy about! Also, I just really like exclaimation marks so any excuse to use them is fine by me.
I recall having a conversation with Paul a little while back about a little thing I like to call reflection. I think that most people in their twenties have to go through a period of time when they do a lot of this. At some point in your twenties (hopefully) you become a real, live adult and its really wierd. I have spent all of my teenage years and a large chunk of my twenties thinking with a predefined mindset. This mindset allowed me to do things like flaking on a friend and assuming they'd just always be there, paying my credit card late every month or heck, just not paying it at all. It allowed me to be half-assed at things because I thought, "hey I'm young and irresponsible, people expect that of me and there will be time later". Well, that "time later" has come. I'm not really sure when I started changing the way I thought about things but one day I realized that my life would be what I make of it and it would represent the kind of person I am. Instead of it being half-assed I wanted it to be kick- ass! (ha, see? exclaimation mark)

What caused me to ponder such things is a behavior that I see at school everyday. I go to a community college where there is a much more diverse age group than at a university. I guess I just expected that along with the "older" more "experianced" crowd I would see a determination that is sometimes lacking in the younger kids. But....no.
Most of the people that are in class with me are attempting to get into nursing school. I would actually say about 90%. Getting into nursing school is very difficult and insanely competitive because there are way too many students and not enough teachers. Anyways, don't you think if you were in fact "older" and trying to better your life by going back to school you should give a damn about what you are learning? People who sit around me in my classes think I am a smarty-pants because I do well on all of my tests. The fact is that I am not smart. I'm actually fairly average if you ask me. I do, however, give a damn and I give it my all. I gave it my all when I was working 60hrs a week and still managed to pull A's in all of my classes. The only difference between me and those I am speaking of is that I have made up my mind. I am determined and I have decided that I want something more out of this life than sitting on my ass can provide. If I am going to do something I am going to be responsible for it and do it the absolute best that I can. No one else is going to do it for me.
So in a nutshell, I guess I am proud of myself and I am glad that the reflection I needed to see clearly didn't happen too late in life and that I was able to recognize it for what it was. Ok, that is all. Till next time. Ta ta :) !!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hell ya!! i think you should be a doctor! and you are really smart silly! who else got hundreds on the bone and muscle quizes?? ummm NOBODY!!!