Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Just a little rant

I used to absolutely hate riding the bus home from school because there were these two brothers that teased me the entire way. They knew that I was a bunny loving tree hugger and would torment me with stories about how they kicked their dogs and shot squirrels for fun. I used to get so mad that I would literally burst into tears and I remember thinking, why doesn't anyone else say something to these losers?

We watched a video today in my Ethics class called "The Peaceable Kingdom". It was a documentary on factory farming. After the lights were turned back on I looked around at the class and at least one half were crying including myself. I'd like to think that there is a consciousness building in our society about the little choices we make everyday and how these little choices have huge consequences. I think it's a little bit easier in Boulder because everywhere you look someone is trying to save the world in their own little way. I had no idea that purchasing a cup of coffee was contributing to demise of migratory song birds or that by drinking milk I am financially contributing to fuel that powers veal market.

I hate caring about these things. I think about them on my way to school, on my way home from school, when I'm at the grocery store, the gas station, the mall...when I watch T.V or go hiking and most annoyingly, when I am trying to go to sleep at night. I used to irritate myself because I would be so serious about this stuff all the time and my friends got really tired of it. So I quit and vowed to lighten up.

I guess my point, if I have one, is that sometimes it's just plain easier not to care and a lot of the time lately I wish I didn't care. But I cared on the bus in elementary school and I'll probably care on the next bus I get on.

1 comment:

Kwicky said...

That's what I love about you babe - you care about everything so much! :p